Monday, March 19, 2007

Sleepover


© Harry Benson. The Beatles in the George V Hotel, Paris, January 1964. They had just learned that "I Want To Hold Your Hand" was the number one song in the U.S.

I think one of the great losses we suffer when we leave behind childhood is the sleepover party.

It is typically unique unto our youth to know the joy of a party that does not end and the innocence of that party being without sexual agenda but purely for fun and companionship. Then again, a great many things in adulthood are difficult to keep devoid of sexual politics. The best birthday of my life to date was my 17th. My parents let me have 12 people stay over - boys and girls. We watched movies all night and made s'mores and watched the sun come up together and videotaped each other acting like morons. Best night ever.

Thanks to the modern invention of dollar shot specials, I had a sleepover this weekend.

My buddies and I got back to my house and, as only one of us was in any state to drive, transportation was far too complicated. I have lots of room for extra sleeping arrangements at my house. We stayed up to the wee hours of the morning watching cheezy B-movies and eating ice cream, slept in until noon the next day and ate pancakes with maple syrup in front of the TV in the morning. Like being 14 again, but without the angst.

I have a friend in another state who throws a big sleepover party once a year and I think it's brilliant. It warms my heart to think he still knows people who appreciate the simple joy of playing board games, eating junk food and running around in your PJ's (he requires that everyone wear Pajamas instead of jeans etc.) all night with a bunch of platonic friends. As an adult, you realize that it takes special people to understand that "sleepover party" doesn't mean "wild drunken orgy."

My love of sleepovers is probably why I've always said my first action upon winning the lottery would be to buy a huge house for all my friends to live in. Of course, I like my own space, and so do most people, so it would have to be an ENORMOUS house. But I'd love having friends around all the time to stay up late talking to or make big breakfasts for on Saturday mornings.

I like parties that don't end just because everyone needs a few hours of sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment