Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Natalie Goldberg



"Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce."
- Natalie Goldberg

Natalie Goldberg is a poet, writer, painter, teacher of creative writing and has been a student of Zen Buddhism for 24 years. In her books, she explores writing as a Zen practice. I have been reading her best-seller, Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within. It was a gift from a friend shortly after I began this blog, a gesture of reassurance that I would, in fact, find something to write about.

"If you are not afraid of the voices inside you, you will not fear the critics outside you."
- Natalie Goldberg

3 comments:

  1. I love the bit about dropping a jar of apple sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was exactly what got my attention about the quote. I also like that she is listing these major and minor disasters and includes "fall in love."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got to dig out my copy of "Writing Down the Bones...". Her book "Banana Rose" was a fun read as well.

    ReplyDelete