Friday, July 27, 2007

Hermione


Emma Watson, in her first outing as Hermione Granger in the film “Harry Potter and The Sorceror’s Stone,” 2001

“Are you sure that's a real spell? Well, it's not very good is it? I've tried a few simple spells myself and they've all worked for me. Nobody in my family's magic at all, it was ever such a surprise when I got my letter, but I was ever so pleased, of course, it's the best school of witchcraft there is I've heard - I've learned all the course books by heart of course. I just hope it will be enough - I'm Hermione Granger, by the way, who are you?”
Hermione Granger’s introduction to Harry Potter

There are a great many wonderful, interesting female characters in the Harry Potter series, but the young lady carrying the banner for feminism in the Potterverse is, unquestionably, one Miss Hermione Granger. I’ve enjoyed the series, I am going to miss these characters and Miss Granger in particular.

My younger sister has, in all fondness, suggested some alternate titles for “Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows” - which are, of course, funny only to those who have read it. One was “Harry Potter Does Nothing and Hermione Granger Saves the Day.” Which isn’t really accurate at all but it does feel that way at certain times. Hermione outdid herself in this latest and last installment in the series. She went above and beyond to basically enable plot points that would have been impossible if Rowling had not accounted for them by bringing all the organization, clever planning and superior ability of her young female lead to bear.

My favorite of my sister’s alternate titles was, incidentally, “Harry Potter and the Endless Camping Trip.”

Very funny girl, my sister.

On the bright side, We have at least another couple years of Emma Watson reprising her role as the fiery young witch on the big screen. She has matured as an actor and she has brought a great deal of depth to her portrayal of this now practically iconic character.


Emma Watson in “Harry Potter and Chamber of Secrets,” 2002

“Twitchy little ferret, aren't you, Malfoy?”



Emma Watson in “Harry Potter and Prizoner of Azkaban,” 2004

“I hope you're pleased with yourselves. We could all have been killed - or worse, expelled.”



Emma Watson in “Harry Potter and Prizoner of Azkaban,” 2004

“Just because it's taken you three years to notice, Ron, doesn't mean no one else has spotted I'm a girl!”



Emma Watson in “Harry Potter and Goblet of Fire,” 2005

"Hermione," said Harry, shaking his head, "you're good on feelings and stuff, but you just don't understand about Quidditch."

"Maybe not," she said darkly, returning to her translation again, "but at least my happiness doesn't depend of Ron's goalkeeping ability."



Emma Watson in “Harry Potter and Order of The Pheonix,” 2007

“You said to us once before," said Hermione quietly, "that there was time to turn back if we wanted to. We've had time, haven't we?”


I'm so sad it's over.

2 comments:

  1. Me too! I finished the book yesterday evening on the train, and now I feel like something's missing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone sent me an email calling it "Post-Potter Syndrome" or something like that. I can't help it, I am going to miss these fictional children we watched "grow" as it were.

    ReplyDelete