Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Art of Rachel Salomon


landscape 1, 24" x 36", acrylic and ink on board
© Rachel Salomon

Rachel Salomon's work is layered and organic in feel and I love the line drawings superimposed over washes of color in her paintings. Her other work is interesting, but it's the paintings that really draw me in. View her gallery at rachelsalomon.com.

For her bio, Salomon writes simply and directly: "I was raised in the mountains of Utah. When I was young, I spent afternoons with my grandmother surrounded by her Japanese art, mid-century modern furniture, antiques, illustrated storybooks, and books about painters. Later, I competed as a downhill ski-racer, traveling throughout the country and internationally. I studied Fine Art at Brown University, and Illustration at Art Center College of Design in Pasadena. I've been living in Brooklyn, New York since 2002."

I don't know why, but I love that. First person. Without pretension. And the insight into where she was raised and what she was surrounded by is relevant when viewing her work. Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment