Thursday, November 23, 2006

The Real Meaning of The Holiday

“What we're really talking about is a wonderful day set aside on the fourth Thursday of November when no one diets.  I mean, why else would they call it Thanksgiving?”
- Erma Bombeck

To be honest, I have no intention of abandoning my diet this year, as I have just recently relocated my small waist and am in no mood to lose track of it again. All the same, too many women spend the year in the throes of devoted dieting and restraint. Thanksgiving is a day for lack of restraint. I don't really believe anyone is celebrating anything else... unless perhaps they are reveling in the opportunity to irritate family members and argue over the proper way to cook things which is also vastly entertaining and deserving of an official day.

1 comment:

  1. I think of Thanksgiving as a day to be thankful for my family. No matter how much we argue, no matter how much we eat, we are family and that matters to me a lot. I lived far, far away from my family for many years and it always made me sad to be away from them on that day. Because i knew what was happening. My mom and grandma are in the kitchen cooking, every few min something new appears on the table. My brother, father, uncle, aunt, cousin, grandfather and i sit in the living room chatting. We all sit down to a delicious dinner and then the women clean up and the men fall asleep on the couch.

    No matter how screwy it is, there is odd comfort in traditions. Cause i can't think of a better place to be on thanksgiving than cleaning the dishes at my grandma's house.

    ReplyDelete