Random Song Lyric Meme:
Step 1: Put your MP3 player or whatever on random.
Step 2: Post the first line(s) from the first 20 songs that play, no matter how embarrassing the song. (Skip the instrumentals, the remixes and the mashups)
Step 3: Let everyone you know guess what song and artist the lines come from.
Step 4: Strike out the songs when someone guesses correctly.
Talk about a random assortment of songs. I'm pretty big on variety. This mix is from putting my ipod on random:
1. "Gold teeth and a curse for this town / were all in my mouth. / Only, I don't know how / they got out, dear." - New Slang / The Shins - Identified by count-to-seven.
2. "You keep sayin' you've got something for me /Something you call love, but confess" - These Boots Were Made For Walking / Nancy Sinatra - Identified by Jonathan Lapper.
3. "I used to got out to parties / And stand around / 'Cause I was too nervous / To really get down"
4. "I'm looking down the hole / You're looking up at me / You're cold and tired / That is easy to see / lower the rope to you / a bucket on the line" - Lotion / The Greenskeepers - Identified by count-to-seven (that's right! It's a song ABOUT THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, which is bizarre and SO disturbing but ohmygosh it's so catchy. Seriously).
5. "I've got a Dungeon Master's Guide / I've got twelve sided die / I've got Kitty Pride / and Nightcrawler, too"
6. "Each morning I get up I die a little / Can barely stand on my feet / (Take a look at yourself) Take a look in the mirror and cry (and cry) / Lord what you're doing to me" - Somebody to Love / Queen - Identified by Jonathan Lapper.
7. "Tweedily deedily dee, / Tweedily deedily dee, / Tweedily deedily dee, / Tweedily deedily dee, / Tweedily deedily dee, / Tweedily deedily dee, / Tweet, tweet, TWEET TWEET / He rocks in the treetops all day long, / rockin' and a-boppin' and a-singin' his song" - Rockin' Robin / Michael Jackson (before or after the Jackson Five??) - Identified by The Guy.
8. "I won't let you down / I will not give you up / Gotta have some faith in the sound / It's the one good thing that i've got" - Freedom 90 / George Michael - Identified by Jonathan Lapper (ahem. Hahahaha. But, then, I LOVE this song so who am I to talk?).
9. "(spoken) Really? From where I'm standing, the sun is shining all over the place.
(humming) Doo-de-doo doo Doo-de-doo-de-doo-doo...
(singing) I'm singing..." - Singing In The Rain / Gene Kelly - Identified by Tracey (Yay! I love old musicals and I love that you got this one!).
10. "Billy Ray was a preacher's son / when his daddy would visit he'd come along / when they gathered round and started talking / that's when Billy would take me walking" - Son of a Preacher Man / Dusty Springfield - Identified by Jonathan Lapper.
11. "Shook it up / I never loved nobody fully / Always one foot on the ground / And by protecting my heart truly / I got lost in the sounds" - Fidelity / Regina Spektor - Identified by KateP!
12. "I've wined and dined on Mulligan Stew, and never wished for Turkey / As I hitched and hiked and grifted too, from Maine to Albuquerque" - The Lady is a Tramp / Ella Fitzgerald (hers was the version I had loaded on my ipod) - Identified by Jonathan Lapper.
13. "I like / Where we are, / When we drive, / In your car. / I like, / Where we are; / here."
14. "Sometimes I feel I've got to run away / I've got to get away / from the pain you drive into the heart of me" - Tainted Love / Soft Cell - Identified by The Guy.
15. "I want love, but it's impossible / a man like me, so irresponsible / a man like me is dead in places / other men feel liberated" - I Want Love / Elton John - Identified by lynn.
16. "I need someone, a person to talk to / someone to care, to love / could it be you, could it be you? Situation gets rough / and I start to panic / it's not enough / It's just a habit" - Kiss Off / The Violent Femmes - Identified by The Guy.
17. "I certainly haven't been shopping for any new shoes and / I certainly haven't been spreading myself around / I still only travel by foot and by foot, it's a slow climb, / But I'm good at being uncomfortable, so / I can't stop changing all the time" - Extraordinary Machine / Fiona Apple - Identified by lynn.
18. "Old pirates, yes, they rob I; / Sold I to the merchant ships, / Minutes after they took I / From the bottomless pit. / But my hand was made strong / By the hand of the Almighty. / We forward in this generation / Triumphantly." - Redemption Song / Bob Marley & The Wailers - Identified by Nerka!
19. "Yo listen up here's a story / About a little guy that lives in a blue world / And all day and all night and everything he sees / Is just blue like him inside and outside" - Blue (DaBaDee) / Eiffel 65 - Identified by The Guy.
20. "It was Christmas Eve babe / In the drunk tank / An old man said to me, won't see another one / And then he sang a song / The Rare Old Mountain Dew / I turned my face away / And dreamed about you" - Fairytale of New York / The Pogues - Identified by The Guy.
So guess away! Post the name of the song and artist along with the number in my comments section. As the songs are correctly guessed, I will mark them off and indicate the first person to correctly name the song (along with a link to your blog or website if you include that information with your comment).
Edit: I forgot to tag anyone! I'm tagging Sheila, Nina, Tracey, Jonathan, lisachelle and Lola! ...but if it doesn't work with your format, guys, I totally understand. ;)