Friday, December 29, 2006

Year-End Review

2006 has not been a good year. But it has been so mind-bogglingly awful that I have made enormous changes and 2007 is promising to be pretty good. And when I say mind-bogglingly awful I mean like when I am 60 I will still say that THIS was my worst year on memory. THAT bad. Seriously.

So I was perusing The Sheila Variations and saw this questionnaire (which she linked to here and here)and began to try to answer the questions. Big mistake. HUGE. Sadly my answers were wholly depressing.

So I decided I WILL try to answer the questions. I am going to sit down and answer them with my best sense of humor and my eyes set firmly on the silver linings on the horizon. If you, too have had a dreadful year - I recommend trying my approach.


1. Was 2006 a good year for you?


I got my life back. So let's say it was "good for me" but not pleasant. Kind of like high-fiber cereal. Or an enema.


2. What was your favorite moment(s) of the year?


Standing in Times Square.


3. What was your least favorite moment(s) of the year?


There are too many to choose from. Let's just pretend they didn't happen, ok? Better yet, let's write them on pieces of paper and throw them in a hat and include ONE absurd "fake" bad moment and then you can all pull one moment out and try to guess which one is the fake one. Because you'll never guess. It was THAT kind of year.


4. What did you do in 2006 that you'd never done before?


Ahem, Stand in Times Square.


5. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?


I didn't. Maybe that's where I went wrong. This New Year will be rife with resolutions. Masses of fantastical goals to live up to.


6. Where were you when 2006 began?


I don't remember (maybe that's a sign that I had great fun).


7. Who were you with?


Next question...


8. Where will you be when 2006 ends?


At a party with a good friend (and if all goes well, maybe I won't remember!)


9. Who will you be with when 2006 ends?


A good friend and some lovely acquaintances.


10. Did anyone close to you give birth?


Well, she is due to at any moment but thus far I do not believe she has. Ask me tomorrow.


11. Did you lose anybody close to you in 2006?


Yes. My grandmother. The most excellent, clever, spirited (ok, ornery) and strong woman I have ever met. I want to be like her. She didn't take any crap from anyone. In fact, it's a shame she wasn't around for the second half of the year because she could have helped tell-off anyone who upset me. She was very good at quietly, cleverly putting people in their place.


12. Who did you miss?


My grandmother... And my youth. But that's a completely different issue.


13. Who was the best new person you met in 2006?


ME!

"Oh, hi there! Where have you been?"


14. What was your favorite month of 2006?


Months are highly overrated.


15. Did you travel outside of the US in 2006?


Oh, sure. Rub it in. No, I didn't. But I'm leaving the country very soon.


16. How many different states did you travel to in 2006?


Let's see. I entered a state of confusion. Rage. Self-loathing. Doubt. Euphoria. Oh, and abject terror when I saw that women had begun to wear leggings with EVERYTHING, the occasional stirrup pant (leggings gone terribly wrong) and "formal" shorts. I mean, whatthehell?

Geographically speaking, however, 4 or 5.


17. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006?


A 24 inch waist. oh, oh! and World Peace.

But mostly a 24 inch waist.


18. What date from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?


My birthday. Clever me, I always remember it. Other than that, pretty much forget most dates eventually.

19. What was your biggest achievement of the year?


I think I am most pleased with finally auditioning for a part in a play. More than the fact that I got the role. Just that I did it at all.


20. What was your biggest failure?


Well, I couldn't figure out how to get the jam to gel properly when I made blackberry jam... so we're going with that. OK??


21. Did you suffer illness or injury?


I was temporarily insane. For most of the year.


22. What was the best thing you bought?


A ticket to New York. And an ipod shuffle. I had NO idea what I was missing (on either count, actually). I just went to the grocery store and shopped while listening to (yeah, go ahead and laugh) Buffy the Musical on my ipod. Hahahahaha! Priceless.


23. Whose behavior merited celebration?


Mine. I am far stronger than I realized. (doing a little "go me, its my birthday" cheesy dance in honor of said strength)


24. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?


The man who would be king - a.k.a. The big icky George W. himself. Not that I expected MORE from him, mind you. He depresses me ANYWAY.


25. Where did most of your money go?


Down the drain.


26. What did you get really, really, really excited about?


The guy who had been harassing my best friend at work was arrested for embezzlement. That was pretty cool... um, Clearly I have issues.


27. Did you drink a lot of alcohol in 2006?


No, but I promise to try harder next year.


28. Did you do a lot of drugs in 2006?


Well, no. But I've got three days left, right?

kidding


29. Did you treat somebody badly in 2006?


No. I'm sure there are people I neglected to treat badly.
I'll try to do better next year.


30. Did somebody treat you badly in 2006?


"Badly" really isn't the word I would have chosen.


31. Compared to this time last year, are you:


i. happier or sadder?
ii. thinner or fatter?
iii. richer or poorer?

Odd, this. I am happier, thinner and poorer.


32. What do you wish you'd done more of in 2006?


I like Sheila's answer. I wish I'd traveled more and had more sex.


33. What do you wish you'd done less of?


Living my life for other people.


34. Did you fall in love in 2006?


Yes. With this gorgeous woman's tuxedo-style pantsuit. And a pair of 4 inch heeled black boots that just reek of sex. The kind of love that lasts (sigh).


35. What was your favorite TV program(s)?


Grey's Anatomy. I can't help it. Impossibly attractive medical personnel sleeping with each other and having neurotic breakdowns just does it for me.


36. What song will always remind you of 2006?


"Suddenly I See" by KT Tunstall


37. How many concerts did you see in 2006?


Just a few


38. Did you have a favorite concert in 2006?


Tom Waits. I cried. Also one of the best moments of the year.


39. What was your greatest musical discovery?


I try not to discover musicians. They are often messy and need taking care of. Some of them aren't like that, but I've had enough of musicians for one year. For a lifetime, in fact.


40. What was the best book you read?


I can never decide.


41. What was your favorite film of this year?


Little Miss Sunshine


42. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?


Dinner at a fancy restaurant. The big three-oh.


43. What did you want and get?


A trip to Scotland


44. What did you want and not get?


Answering this question would be an exercize in futility.


45. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?


Winning the lottery. Curing cancer. Being awarded the Nobel Peace prize for just being me. I don't know.


46. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006?


Minimalist and logo averse with a 1940's fetish. Cayce Pollard meets Marlene Deitrich.


47. What kept you sane?


My friends. My deep seated and irrational faith that, in the end, I'm still the most fabulous.


48. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?


It's a toss up between Gerard Butler and Takeshi Kaneshiro.


49. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006.



Never go up against a Sicilian when death is on the line!

Wait, no. That's wasn't me. hmmm. I learned that I have to live for myself and do things my way and let everyone else worry about their own damn lives.


50. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.


It was christmas eve babe
In the drunk tank
An old man said to me, won't see another one
And then he sang a song
The rare old mountain dew
I turned my face away
And dreamed about you

Got on a lucky one
Came in eighteen to one
I've got a feeling
This years for me and you
So happy Christmas
I love you baby
I can see a better time
When all our dreams come true

They've got cars big as bars
They've got rivers of gold
But the wind goes right through you
It's no place for the old
When you first took my hand
On a cold christmas eve
You promised me
Broadway was waiting for me

You were handsome
You were pretty
Queen of new york city
When the band finished playing
They howled out for more
Sinatra was swinging,
All the drunks they were singing
We kissed on a corner
Then danced through the night

The boys of the NYPD choir
Were singing Galway Bay
And the bells were ringing out
For Christmas day

You're a bum
You're a punk
You're an old slut on junk
Lying there almost dead on a drip in that bed
You scumbag, you maggot
You cheap lousy faggot
Happy christmas your arse
I pray God its our last

I could have been someone
Well so could anyone
You took my dreams from me
When I first found you
I kept them with me babe
I put them with my own
Can't make it all alone
I've built my dreams around you

Fairytale of New York, The Pogues


Honestly, I feel better just having found less negative answers for most of those questons! You should have heard the first set that I came up with in my head! Better to start the new year with a positive attitude, right?

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that i had something to do with making your year a little better, and that i was standing with you on that corner in Times Square.

    ReplyDelete