Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Fear



”It's not so much that we're afraid of change or so in love with the old ways, but it's that place in between that we fear . . . . It's like being between trapezes. It's Linus when his blanket is in the dryer. There's nothing to hold on to.”

- Marilyn Ferguson

She makes a good point. We think we fear change but we really fear that place of insecurity that occurs during change - the place in between. Still, “change” is a frightening and exciting word. Our fear of the unknown is instinctual.

This year I’m going as a vampire for Halloween (hey - it’s a quick, cheap costume and I have a party to attend so I needed to wear something). I think next year I should go as something really scary; like “commitment” or “old age” or “change” or one of a million other things adults tend to place above vampires, mummies and witches on the fear scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment