Monday, August 27, 2007

The Art of LeUyen Pham


"Shino" © LeUyen Pham

I collect the Annual Spectrum editions - they are collections of "contemporary fantastic art" - artwork that explores anything outside the "real" world as we know it, really. It covers a lot of ground. I first saw LeUyen Pham's "Shino" in the 8th edition of Spectrum. I loved how she had taken a mythical creature like a mermaid and made her so of this world; with the string of pearls in her hair fallen to one side, her slouched posture, her morose expression and the casually held cigarette. Honestly, she looks like a young woman contemplating a shit situation that she's unhappily resigned to... beautifully mundane and familiar except for the fish tail. The detail of the little mer-kitty biting it's tail balances the piece, makes it feel a little less hopeless to me. I found her approach to this subject absolutely fascinating.

THEN I found LeUyen Pham's website, leUyenpham.com. Predictably, she has a wonderful sense of humor - as evidenced by her bio page (it's a hoot!). Her work also varies from gorgeous fantastical adult work to whimsical children's illustration. All presented to you in a highly entertaining web page. I strongly recommend taking the time to peruse her gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment